A tremendous amount of scientific innovation is taking place across Latin America and the Caribbean, with many researchers and entrepreneurs developing new solutions to make a positive impact in their own communities, and around the world. But their achievements often remain unrecognized.
Through the “Champions of Science Storytelling Challenge – Latin America and the Caribbean Edition”, we invite all scientists doing innovative and impactful work in Latin America and the Caribbean to come forward and share their stories!
By showcasing the contributions of the talented and passionate scientists and innovators in Latin America and the Caribbean, we aim to build public engagement and support for science and inspire the next generation to pursue scientific fields that will have the potential to drive growth and transformation.
About Champions of Science:
Science touches our lives in every imaginable way. From antibiotics and telecommunications, to genomics, precision medicine and 3D printing, science has improved the human condition, leading to longer, healthier, happier lives for people all over the world. To continue to advance, science needs champions!
As a global healthcare company, the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is uniquely positioned to champion the role of science in society. Through our Champions of Science platform, we work to convene and catalyze champions of science, and engage people of all generations and backgrounds to see the unlimited opportunities that science brings.
Share your journey of scientific research and innovation
This can be submitted in either of the following formats:
- A written story (500-1,000 words) in English, Spanish or Portuguese
- Please click here for important video guidelines and tips!
A picture is worth 1,000 words!
We encourage you to submit photos of yourself, your team and any other images that will help tell your story in addition to your written or video submission.
- Photo submission is not required but highly encouraged.
- Accepted file formats: PDF (.pdf), MS Word (.doc), MS Word (.docx), .avi, .mp4, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, Youtube and Vimeo links
Whichever format you choose to tell your story in, be sure to address the following topics in your response:
- What are you working on & why is it important? How will your work impact people/society?
- Who inspires you and/or what motivates you?
- Why do you think it is important to tell stories of science?
In addition, all applications must include a written description of the scientific research or innovation involved.
Rewards & Benefits
- Publication of your story in the Johnson & Johnson Innovation “Champions of Science” compendium (electronic and print)
- Broad recognition as a Champion of Science through publicity and social media channels.
- $5,000 USD
- Invitation to serve as a “Champion of Science” ambassador at local or regional scientific/science policy meetings, as opportunities arise
- Any scientist or innovator, affiliated with a higher-education institution, research institution, government, private company, NGO or an innovation hub doing research in any scientific field in Latin America and the Caribbean with the goal of making a positive impact on society is encouraged to participate.
- The Applicant must be authorized, by their affiliated institution to represent the science being profiled and to accept the award.
- The Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident in a country in Latin America and the Caribbean
An independent selection committee will evaluate submissions based on their ability to meet the following criteria:
Quality of the science/innovation (33%)
- Progress thus far/potential impact
- Team working on the idea
Quality of the story (33%)
- How well is the idea communicated?
- How engaging is the presenter?
- How well is the potential impact communicated?
Potential impact on society/ability to scale (33%)
- How many people are facing the problem/affected by the issue that the science addresses?
- How many people could the solution reach?
- October 22: Applications open
- January 22 Submission deadline
- February-March -- October Judging
- 2Q 2019: Winners notified
Can I submit a story on behalf of my colleague/friend?
No, you must submit on behalf of yourself. You can, however, mention other colleagues you worked with along the way with their permission.
What if I am having trouble with the application portal/site?
Make sure your browser is up to date and accepting cookies. You can contact customer service at https://jnjawards.fluidreview.com/helpdesk/contact/ if you are having technical difficulties as well.
Is it OK if some of the information I submit is confidential?
Do not submit confidential information. Only non-confidential information should be submitted. Anything you submit will be treated as non-confidential.
Does my video need to be professionally produced?
No! A simple video or audio file created on your phone, laptop or with a handheld camera is great. Acceptable file types are: avi, .mp4, Youtube and Vimeo links.
Are there any guidelines I need to follow for a video submission?
Yes, review our Video Guidelines and tips before submitting your video.
Are any travel expenses associated with the prize paid for by Johnson & Johnson Innovation?
Each Award Recipient will receive 5,000 USD. This money is to be used at the winners discretion and can be used towards travel if any is required. Johnson & Johnson Innovation will not provide any additional compensation for travel.
Do I have to apply in one sitting?
You are able to save your work and log back in to finish at a later time if needed.
Who can I contact if I have questions about the Challenge or the application process?